Regarding Unit #2 I am going to reflect about teaching. Since the beginning of the semester I realized that English Classes had changed in terms of methodological procedures. Classes are planned and organized with clear steps : Pre, While and Post, each step with its timing and because of this we had more favorable spaces to reflect upon the topics. Moreover the Learning objectives were clear enough and I get involved with the topics once I read them.
During Unit #2 teachers maintained the space to discuss and reflect and the group works as well. Presentations and discussions were crucial to build up knowledge. I feel strongly that cooperative learning makes huge changes in terms of internalize a meaningful learning. In spite of the risk of working with others I witness the positive effects for the majority of the class thereby, undoubtedly, I am going to use and adapt some activities in my classes at school.
On the other hand I realized that Phonetics was included in our Friday´s classes. The core of seen language as a construction implies the integration of multiple topics and skills. Some people my disagree with me, but I think those classes were useful and support our English learning process.
Besides classes included the use of Videos, Power Points and short presentations with discussions.. All those materials plus teachers practices contribute to fulfill with the objectives. I really like the way you deal with the units , with the classes and with the assessments, all of them facilitated my learning process and helped me to identify in a deeper way my strengths and weaknesses.
UNIT 2: Society through visual arts and movies
>The role of film in society
- “Film has a uniquely powerful ubiquity within human culture”
- “The direct economic impact of film is clear, but the effect to the wider economy significant”
- “CInema has become a powerful vehicle for culture, education, leisure propaganda”
- “Cinema attendance can have independent and robust effects on mental wellbeing because visual stimulation can queue a range of emotions and the collective experience of these emotions through the cinema provides a safe environment in which experience roles and emotions we might not otherwise be free to experience.”
- “Film is a reflection of society, both present and past. Something they want to tell someone…”
- “Movies can educate too, they tell us things we could have never known”.
- “Movies can create controversy, debate, conversation”
- “ The ultimate prize for a great movie is whether it can stand the test of time, across generations”
- The Oscar rewards excellence …
- The technology of the movies , from the beginning has been important. 3D and visual effects help create an illusion , to help us escape”
>Beginning at zero: Notes on Cinema and Society
- The text is about Brazilian culture and the influence of cinema and a new movement.
- Cinema Novo Movement: Political and Cultural Reality
- “Films arbitrates lifestyles, actives the imagination with its fantasies and shapes moral life.”
- “Brazilian public has also based its images of life on North American films”
- Examples of films: Asalto al tren pagador, Selva Trágica
- Is is worth the effort to make films that contribute nothing more to our culture? A growing awareness of the need to answer “no” and therefore of the need for original films led to the creation of the Cinema Novo Movement…”
- “Cinema novo rejects populist attitudes and the tendency of populism to manipulate the public”
- “When filmmakers decide to begin at zero, to create a cinema with new kinds of plot, interpretations, rhythm and poetry, they begin the dangerous and revolutionary adventure of learning at work…”
- “Our hero should be the multiple Brazilian man, who lives through each crisis as it presents itself”
- “Today (Cinema Novo) competes as an equal with other Brazilian distribution houses”
- “Cinema Novo has become a political and cultural reality”
>MEDIA, CULTURE AND SOCIETY
- India is the largest producer of films in the world
- It has ideological messages
- Indian audience is diversity
- Audience develop a relationship with the film
- Films can dialogue with viewers (Movie-going)
- All indian films are musicals
- It does not have a structure
- Themes: Comedic- Melodramas and romantic
- Indian cinema has always provided competition for Hollywood.
- USA highly disciplined way to watch movies
- Cinema as a public place (india)
>HISTORY THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY
- Documental: La ciudad de los Fotógrafos
- Photography and the historical study, Possible Interpretations.
- Researching and Interpreting history through photography
- “A picture is worth a thousand of words”
- “Photographies can be used to prove a theory, to disprove it, or to contradict a stereotype.”
- “There are many clues that can help you read a photography…”
- Images as historical researches as well
- Images as functional mediums with representational forces with respect to some objects, personalities or event.
- “Photographies play the role of some “speechless” eyewitnesses and the translation of their testimonial in words is not at all unproblematic”
>UNDERSTANDING EUROPE THROUGH FILMS
Berlin in film
- Our perception of a city can be influenced by the media
- We can categorize cities in different ways –fictional or realistic portrait
- Characters can give a role to the city
>The art of teaching social studies through films
- Movie: Kids by Spring Breakers. This movie is about alcohol, drugs and sex, sexually active teenagers. The movie shows sexual encounters, unprotection.
- Teaching with film is a powerful and meaningful instructional strategy.
- There are many ways film can be incorporated into the curriculum
- Teachers realize that film has the potential to bring students closer to the people and events that they are studying
- Film as a Visual Book
- Film as a depicter of atmosphere
- Film as an analogy
- Film as an Historiography
- Film as a Springboard
Hollywood and society
- Hollywood emerged as the capital of films
- The demands for films was great… why? variety of scenarios (desert, sea, etc)
- Hollywood was divided in the most popular genres like melodrama . crime drama, , hottot, etc
- Films started to portray role models instructions in dress and fashion
- Films articulated social culture
- Films provide information about the psychology
- Hollywood films look for globalization like an americanization
This is the link for our movie remake